Aims and Objectives
The main aim of this course module is to introduce the basic concepts of mathematical
modelling, as used by process engineers to simulate and optimise
chemical and process engineering systems.
The course will provide some experience in the construction and
solution of models for steady state and dynamic simulation,
and in the optimisation of single and multi-variable systems.
It is not intended to produce specialist modellers,
but to develop an understanding of the processes of model building
and solution to enable students to interact more
effectively with such specialists.
The module objectives are as follows:
- Modelling and simulation:
- To describe the occurrence of various types of equation
encountered in steady-state and dynamic simulation.
- To introduce the solution methods appropriate to algebraic
and ordinary differential equations, and differential-algebraic
- To describe the systematic construction of of
dynamic models as DAEs.
- To carry out simple modelling case studies.
- To define and
exemplify the different classes of optimisation problem
- To introduce direct search methods for nonlinear
continuous optimisation in a single variable.
- To introduce the principles of linear programming.
- To carry out simple optimisation case studies.
Return to Main Contents Page