Current Research Projects
To Be Updated
- 2009 Web2.0 and Scholarly Research
- Survey of UK research community on upake and use of 'Web2.0' services. Funded by RIN, with NCESS
- 2007-2009 The China EU Information Technology Standards Research Partnership
- Study and network building in the area of Chinese policy and practice in IT and telecoms standardisation. Funded by EC FP7 ?Socio-economic sciences and the Humanities? Programme
- 2007-2008 ProHeatPump
- Market and Policy for Ground Source Heatpumps in Europe. Funded by Intelligent Energy Europe
- 2006-2008 Branded Meeting Places
- AHRC-EPSRC 21st Century Design Programme. Meetings are now less constrained to offices, shops and fixed points of service, and can take place in a range of environments, including branded places: coffee houses, transportation hubs, customised meeting places, and informal, locally-branded spaces. People are drawn to places that have particular meanings as loci of human encounter. Communications technologies are implicated in this move into the variegated brandscape. We gather evidence for these assertions about the rise of branded meeting places, examine the suitability of branded spaces for human encounters (eg meetings amongst business associates, between service providers and clients), and develop strategies for improving the technologies that support them. In the process we will critically examine and analyse branded spaces, theories about their formation, and how they operate as loci of human encounter. Key Research Team Richard Coyne Architecture: School of Arts, Culture and Environment Robin Williams Research Centre for Social Sciences James Stewart Research Centre for Social Sciences Mark Wright Division of Informatics Funded by AHRC/EPSRC
- 2007 PROMETEA
- EC project on Women's Careers in Engineering Research
- 2005 Orienting The Future: Design Strategies For Non-Place: Designing For The 21st Century (Non-place)
- AHRC-EPSRC Research Cluster.
- 2001-2004 FLOWS
- EC IST funded project. Studied issues around the adoption of multi-standard MIMO antenna in future mobile devices, and contribute to the technical development and standardistation process. Conducted with partners Philips (UK), Siemens (D), TUHH (Hamburg,D), IST (Lisbon,P), Telenor (Norway).
- 2002-2003 Parcelcall
- The projects demonstrated a scalable real-time, intelligent, end-to-end tracking and tracing system for transport and logistics applications - to operate across all border, carriers and transportation modes.
- 2001-2004 Strategies of Inclusion: Gender and the Information Society SIGIS
- European Commission project on gender issues in design and use of ICT products and services
- 1996-1998 Social Learning in Multimedia (SLIM)
- European Commission funded study on the relationship of users and developers in the design of new multimedia and internet products and services